Thursday, May 31, 2007

Slow and Easy Wins the Race?

As we work more with wikis and learn about the versatility of blogging, I am finding myself more interested in the potential to use this technology in my classroom. Of course, we will need to iron out the kinks - how do we avoid some of the pitfalls of students doing things on the blog that will come back to "haunt" them? How do we prevent them from writing things that will cause problems with their peers? And, how will we help those whose writing skills leave them behind the eightball?

I would like to find subjects that can be investigated through my blog. Perhaps, for instance, rather than struggling through the processes to create a lovely and personal blog site, one of my peers might be able to offer some support. I am doing some of the reading and researching on my own, but having a peer to guide me makes learning even more fun.

I am struggling with the technology and learning the language. I can imagine how my students must feel as they go through the learning process in my classroom. But, I can remember when the other work associated with this cohort was also difficult for me albeit second nature to many of my peers.

I will continue to read... continue to learn... and hope to enjoy the process!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

The idea of a peer mentor online is terrific. Think about that quiet student in your classroom who will be willing to work online to assist a partner! The student who is too shy to interact but has great ideas...might benefit from a blog.

I have heard teachers speak about responsibility..and students must complete homework...how about responsibly posting on a blog...wow I can actually see kids doing this rather than sitting with a textbook answering questions.

I see potential growth for all students.

Katrina said...

I love the idea of ironing out the the kinks - good visual image. I think it is like any thing else you put the project over the ironing board as you go along you just rub those kinks away. =-) Once things are layed out often they work themselves out.

And speaking of pictures - I love the one of your kids!